How to cook Millets:
- Place the mixed millets in a strainer and rinse well.
- Heat 1 cup water in a pressure cooker and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add rinsed millets, give it a stir and close with the lid. Simmer the flame completely. NO NEED to place the weight in the vent.
- Cook for 5 mins. Switch off flame and take the cooker off the stove and now insert the weight into its vent.
- This will prevent the steam from escaping and the millets will continue to cook from the heat inside the cooker.
- You can also do this in a skillet or pan that has a tight fitting lid.
- Before using, open the lid and fluff with a fork.
How to make Millet Tamarind Rice Recipe:
- Take tamarind paste in a small bowl, add 1 tbsp water, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Pour this over the cooked millets, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with sesame oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida, chana dal, urad dal, sesame seeds, whole dry red chilies broken into pieces, mix well and let it cook for few seconds till the dals turns golden in color.
- Add roasted peanuts, curry leaves and cook for few seconds till the leaves turn crisp.
- Add the millet mixture, salt and toss well cooking over low flame for 1 to 2 mins till they all get combined well and the millets get heated up.
- Switch off stove and keep the pan covered with a lid for all the flavors to come together.
- Millet Tamarind Rice is ready.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice or with papppads.