- Measure and mix the water and ACV together. Place in the fridge till needed. Start by combining the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar well. Next add the chilled cubes of butter to the flour mix and toss them well. Using either a pastry cutter or just your fingers, cut the flour with the butter till its mixed and butter is of pea size.
- Now, add the water + ACV mixture (half of it ) to the mixture. Bring it all together. The dough shouldn’t be too dry. If it, just add a teaspoon at atime till the dough comes together
- Now give the dough good 4-5 kneads, thats it. Shape it into a disc, wrap in cling film and put it in the fridge for 2 hours before use. When ready, remove to the counter for 5 mins. Dust the area liberally with flour and cut the dough in half. Cover and put the other half in fridge.
- Roll out the dough with gentle with strong strokes till its about 1/4 inch thick , flouring as necessary. Now, gently life it up and drape it over your arms and gently cover it over the pie dish. Carefully press the dough into the edges of the pie dish. Cover and Chill. Roll out the other disc in similar fashion till 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter for the top. Chill till the pie is filled.
- Fill it up as desired. Gently lay the stars on top of the pie and cut off the hanging over dough with a knife. Chill again for 30 mins (this helps prevent shrinking during baking) and bake as per directions. Done!!
For the filling
- Start by microwaving the strawberry jam for 30 secs till slightly liquid. Slice the strawberries thin and tear the basil into tiny bits.
- Spread the strawberry jam all over the crust, top it with sliced strawberries, the lemon juice and basil leaves. Add some almond flakes if desired, optional.
- Now layer the star pieces of the dough over the filling. Brush some plain milk all over the crust. Sprinkle some granulated sugar all over the crust. Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 C or 350F for 40-45 mins or till the crust is golden. If it starts browning before time, cover the pie with a foil but continue to bake or the dough will remain uncooked at the bottom.
- Remove the pie and let it cool for 30 mins. Serve hot.
- Don’t add too much jam to this as the crust will get soggy.
- Frozen pie dough can be stored in the freezer for two months. Just let it thaw for 30 mins on the counter before proceeding with rolling it out.