What are Millets?
Millets are widely cultivated as cereal and fodder crops in developing nations, because of their ability to withstand extreme climatic conditions. Millets are mostly grown in the semi-dry areas of Africa and Asia.
In India, organic millets are becoming increasingly popular because of their health benefits starting from weight loss to prevention of diabetes. As they are gluten-free they can be largely consumed by everyone.
Types of Organic Millets
- Sorghum (Jowar): With its high content of calcium, jowar is the most preferred choice in Indian kitchens. It also packs in a punch of iron, protein, and fiber.
- Finger Millet (Ragi): This is one of the most popular kinds of millet. Due to it’s enriching nutrition, it is a great substitute for rice and wheat.
- Little Millet: Little millets have the highest fat content and are commonly used in bread, rotis, rice, and dosas.
- Pearl Millet: This is the highest produced millet in India and is extremely rich in protein. It can be used in rotis or porridges.
- Kodo: Popularly known as kodra or kodon, is rich in fiber and offers a great boost to energy levels. It is the perfect grain for diabetics and can also be substituted for rice.
- Foxtail Millet: Known as Kangni in Hindi, foxtail millet has the highest mineral content. It is the second most produced millet in the entire world.
- Barnyard Millet: These millets grow really fast and have the highest content of fiber and iron amongst the rest of the millets.
Health benefits of millets
- Boosts heart health
Millets are a rich source of magnesium which helps reduce high blood pressure and the risk of a heart attack or a stroke. Reduction in blood pressure and optimizing the circulatory system is the best way to protect your heart health.
- Improves digestion
The best part about millets is that it is rich in fiber. It helps in cleansing the gastrointestinal system and solves problems like excessive bloating, constipation and cramping.
- Helps in detoxifying the body
Millets have a high antioxidant content. This helps boost the excretory system and rids the body of harmful toxins and waste substances.
- Helps prevent asthma
According to research, millets improve the life of people who’ve been suffering from Asthma since childhood. Not just that, it can also greatly reduce the chance of getting asthma by diminishing the common symptoms like coughing and wheezing.
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
The high magnesium content of millets is known to increase the efficiency of insulin and other receptors of glucose in the body. This directly helps in preventing diabetes.
Apart from these health benefits, millets are also great for weight loss. The internet is flooded with millet recipes that take care of both your health and taste. Incorporating organic millets in your diet is extremely important because they are freshly grown, boost overall health and are devoid of harmful toxins.