- MOST RECENT
10 HEALTH BENEFITS OF SPIRULINA
Spirulina is a type of cyanobacteria, often referred to as blue-green algae. It is a spiral-shaped microalgae that is found in freshwater lakes. It is one of the most popular dietary supplements and extremely dense in vital nutrients. Since the nutritional content of spirulina is very high, it comes with immense health benefits for people who consume it. In the market, it is available in the form of powder or tablets for human consumption.
Following are some of the undeniable health benefits of spirulina that makes it a legitimate superfood:
- Excellent source of nutrition: Spirulina may be considered the single most nutritious food on the planet owing to its high amount of protein i.e. 55%-70% (more than lean meats like beef or chicken and even soybean). It also consists of all the nine essential amino acids that are indispensable to the well-being of the human
- Improves digestion: Spirulina supplements prove beneficial for people with gut problems and enables them to maintain good digestive health.
- Regulates blood pressure: The consumption of spirulina on a daily basis has proven effective against high blood pressure, which may otherwise become the seat of major diseases. Spirulina spikes the production of nitric oxide in the body which can effectively regulate the blood pressure.
- Lowers cholesterol: Studies have proven that spirulina can lower blood cholesterol and thus safeguard the individual against various ailments. The antioxidants in spirulina can lower total cholesterol by reducing the “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, and raising the “good” HDL cholesterol.
- Effective against diabetes: Some amount of spirulina per day can significantly lower the blood sugar level. This is indicative of the lowered risk of diabetes among individuals. Thus people with type 2 diabetes may benefit from the consumption of spirulina.
- May improve heart health: Cardiovascular diseases are prompted by high blood pressure or an imbalance in blood cholesterol. Their oxidative effect can lower the chances of a stroke and other heart-related diseases. A certified amount of spirulina intake can prevent the possibility of
- Boosts metabolism and energy: Strenuous workout can often lead to muscle fatigue. In such cases, spirulina supplements can prove useful in enhancing muscle strength and increasing the endurance power of the body. It induces an energetic feeling within the individual.
- Anti-carcinogenic properties: Spirulina is believed to have anticancer properties and is especially effective against a type of precancerous lesions of the mouth called OSMF. Some studies go to the extent of claiming that regular consumption of spirulina can alter the damage done by an unhealthy diet.
- Effective against certain allergens: Often individuals are affected by environmental allergies from pollen, dust particles, etc. Spirulina is effective in counteracting such allergens. It can manage the symptoms of allergy and possesses anti-inflammatory properties.
- Powerful antioxidant: It is an excellent source of antioxidants, thus protecting the body against too much oxidative damage. Phycocyanin is the main active component in spirulina. This antioxidant substance renders the typical bluish-green colour to the microalgae.
Eating healthy and organic food contributes well to the overall nutrition of an individual. 24 Mantra offers a range of certified organic products, free from all chemicals, GMOs, and pesticides. Know more here: www.24Mantra.com