Iron is an important mineral for our body. It helps make hemoglobin and host various other functions in our body. Two major functions of iron include:
- Making red blood cells and
- Carrying oxygen all through our bodies
To stay healthy one must include proper iron rich fruits in their diet chart. A daily intake of 18 mg iron is recommended by doctors and nutritionists. If you are consuming less iron for a long period, you might suffer from fatigue and anemia.
Below is the list of 7 iron rich fruits to help you manage a healthy diet.
- Dates – People seeking for iron rich fruits should know that dates also contain a high percentage of iron, protein, vitamins and other minerals. It can satisfy our sweet tooth and also provide the essential iron that our body needs. One-fourth cup of dates provides us with 50% of iron that we need. It contains antioxidants, polyphenols. It offers a high ratio of minerals to other big-sized fruits and vegetables. It is also rich in Vitamin B-6 and fiber. Fiber makes you feel fuller for a long period. Four to five dates a day can fulfill the requirement of our daily fiber. Potassium is also one of the compounds found in dates. It helps in building muscles and is good for the heart. It is also a healthy substitute for sugar and chocolate.
- Dried apricots – Dried apricots are one of the richest sources of non-heme iron. 100 grams of apricots contains 3.7 mg iron. It also contains vitamin A and B carotene which supports eye health. Including dried apricots in your snacks basket is the best way to gain the needed minerals. These are also the source of soluble fibers that reduces cholesterol.
- Berries – Berries are not a strong carrier of iron but they act as an active iron absorber. Strawberries, blueberries, cranberries or blackberries are all good sources of vitamin C. Consumption of any type of berries increases the absorption rate of non-heme iron. 100 grams of berries contain 0.3mg Iron.
- Dried plums – These are also called prunes and are highly rich in iron. Prune is popularly consumed in the form of juice. A glass of prune juice consists of 0.81 mg Iron. It helps is producing red blood cells that prevent anaemia. Also, if you are suffering from shortness of breath make it a habit to drink at least half a cup of prune juice every day.
- Watermelon – Watermelon is one of the best sources of iron rich fruits. It helps to detoxify our body of all waste and cleanses our kidneys. The iron profile of watermelon boosts our energy and keeps our body hydrated. It also smoothens the process of oxygen distribution from the lungs to all the other body parts.
- Pomegranate – Pomegranate is the perfect choice to keep your haemoglobin level steady and one of the good sources of iron rich fruits. It is also rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin K, and vitamin C.
- Raisins – Raisins are a rich source of iron. A handful of raisins consists of 0.8mg of non-heme iron. It boosts energy and strengthens our immune system.
Iron rich fruits are very important. A healthy outside begins with a healthy inside. Going on an all-organic diet is one of the best ways to promote a healthier lifestyle. 24 Mantra offers a range of 100% certified organic products. Explore 200+ tasty and nutritious ways in which 24 Mantra can help you lead a healthier lifestyle. Choose organic, choose healthy!