- MOST RECENT
Are you too thin?
Are you too thin?
Sometimes being too thin can be a problem. We see too many people who want to lose weight. Though less there are people who want to gain weight too. We have to understand that these people find it hard to put on weight, almost as hard as reducing weight is for others.
Is being thin a problem?
Being thin may be because of under eating or because of malnutrition. If one is thin because he/she is not taking enough calories through diet and in time may end up with a lot of nutritional deficiencies and other related problems.
These people who are undernourished may show signs of fatigue, lack of energy, irritability, lack of concentration and most important may have low immunity.
How to gain weight?
Here we are not discussing people with eating disorders. These disorders are complex, serious problems and medical help has to be taken.
Just like losing weight putting on weight also should be done in a healthy manner. It is known that 7000 kilo calories are needed to put on about 1 kg weight.
- First go to a doctor to and rule out any medical issues which are stopping you from gaining weight. Get a go ahead from the doctor to put on weight in the right way.
- If you want to put on weight, say 1 kg spread the 7000 kilocalories over a period of 2 weeks. These calories are over and above what you are already taking. A weight gain of 1 kg in 2 weeks is good enough.
- Do not eat fats excessively just to put on weight. Do it in a planned and healthy manner with an expert’s help. Unhealthy intake of fat may cause other problems and it is not good for your heart.
- Add calorie dense foods, but they should be healthy, to your balanced diet. Nuts and dry fruits, a little ghee to your rice can be added. This helps in increasing calorie content without having to eat lots of food.
- Eat frequent small meals in case you are unable to increase the amount of food you eat.
- Plan meals which along with calories give all the essential nutrients.
- Have a nice snack before bed time.
- Do not be sedentary hoping you will put on weight. Physical activity is not only healthy but also increases appetite. Make exercise a part of your daily routine.
- Increase your weight by adding muscle to your body composition not just fat. If you just add fat that will lead to another set of problems. You want a nice well toned body.
- Do not skip meals. Eat 3 large meals and include two small meals. That is include one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon snack or a small meal.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Whatever you do stick to dietary guidelines so that whatever weight gain is achieved it is done in a healthy style. It is always better to take a dietitian or nutritionist’s help to plan a healthy, calorie dense but at the same time nutrient dense meals.