Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) also known as Chinese parsley, dhania or cilantro is an annual herb in the family Apiaceae. This is a plant which is 100 % edible but the fresh leaves and the dried seeds are the parts most commonly used in the cooking. Coriander is native to Southern Europe and Northern Africa to Southwestern Asia.
The fresh leaves of coriander are an ingredient in many foods, such as chutneys, salads, curries and it is used to garnish the food as well. While most people use coriander leaves as a staple vegetable in their kitchen, the health benefits of coriander are rarely discussed.
Coriander Leaves Benefits
Coriander leaves benefits range from medicinal to therapeutic but as I said they are rarely talked about. Coriander is rich in many vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Following table contains the nutritional profile of coriander leaf and seed.
Some of the prominent health benefits of consuming coriander are following:
- Boosts Immune System: Coriander contains several antioxidants like terpinene, quercetin, and tocopherols. These antioxidants boost immunity and have neuroprotective and anticancer effects. So consuming fresh coriander leaves would boost your immunity.
- Fight Diabetes Symptoms: Coriander leaves have significantly high levels of dietary fibers and proteins which aids in regulating blood sugar levels.
- Aids Liver Dysfunction Treatment: One of the major coriander leaves benefits is that it assists in curing liver ailments such as jaundice and bile disorders. This property is attributed to the rich quantities of alkaloids and flavonoids in coriander leaves. Moreover, they also enhance liver function and ensure proper detoxification of the body.
- Strengthens Bones: Coriander leaves are rich in the minerals, namely calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. These minerals play an instrumental role in connective tissue formation. Eating coriander leaves in salads greatly improves bone density and soothes aching joints in arthritis.
- Relieves Stomach Problems: The coriander leaves contain anthocyanins which enable them to possess anti-inflammatory qualities. These anti inflammatory qualities aid in healing stomach ulcers and fight indigestion. Eating coriander leaves also elevates the levels of gastric mucosal secretions. These secretions defend the stomach walls from acid reflux and improve gut health.
- Improves Heart Health: Coriander lowers heart disease risk factors, like high blood pressure and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Coriander extract appears to act as a diuretic, helping your body flush excess sodium and water. This helps in lowering your blood pressure
- Improves Brain Functioning: Brain diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and multiple sclerosis, are associated with inflammation. Coriander’s anti-inflammatory properties due to anthocyanins may safeguard against these diseases.
- Promoters Better Vision: Coriander leaves have abundant amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and the carotenoid class of antioxidants. Due to these micronutrients its consumption leads to improved vision. These nutrients are also effective in healing conjunctivitis, an age-related degenerative disorder of vision. Improved vision is another major health benefit of coriander leaves.
- Protects Skin and Promotes Skin Welfare: Coriander has several skin benefits. The antioxidants in coriander extract help prevent cellular damage and fight skin aging. It also fights skin damage from ultraviolet B radiation. Coriander leaf juice is also helpful in relieving skin conditions like acne, pigmentation, oiliness, or dryness.
But the point to be noted is that if the food that you eat is full of chemicals, pesticides, insecticides then instead of the antioxidants and minerals you would be consuming harmful chemicals that impact your health adversely. Hence, it is important to be sure that you consume organic food from reliable sources. 24 Mantra Organic has been committed to the goal of proving Indian customers with wholesome, quality, natural and 100 % organic food items. We have a range of organic spices and organic flours. After all, we are what we eat. So choose to eat healthy, organic, natural and authentic.
Try 24 Mantra Organic’s organic spices & organic flours and savour the taste of organic goodness.