- MOST RECENT
The 16 Best Foods to Control Diabetes
A diabetes diet simply translates as the healthiest diet. Healthcare professionals recommend a diet containing lean protein, fibre, refined carbohydrates, polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated fats. They are highly beneficial in keeping blood sugar levels under check. Here is a list of 16 nutrition-packed foods that are not only helpful in controlling diabetes but also help in improving the overall well being.
- Green leafy vegetables- Green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale contain potassium, sodium and Vitamin A, and are therefore known to keep blood sugar level in control. Organic leafy greens are rich in antioxidants and enzymes that help digest starch better.
- Eggs- Eggs, a protein powerhouse, are known to improve insulin sensitivity and control cholesterol levels. Rich in antioxidants, lutein, and zeaxanthin, eggs help prevent eye diseases as well.
- Poultry meat- Meat is a healthy diet if consumed in the right way and can help in controlling diabetes. Breast meat is low in fat and ideal for consumption whereas, thighs, drumsticks, or skin with high saturated fats must be avoided.
- Fatty fish- Fatty fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which are necessary for the body to control blood sugar and blood lipids in diabetic people.
- Dairy- Dairy products like milk and yogurt are rich in protein and calcium. They are known for fighting insulin resistance, the key problem of diabetes.
- Nuts- Nuts are a source of monounsaturated fats that help control blood sugar. They are known as slow-burning foods because of their high fibre and protein content, thus keep diabetes in control.
- Seeds- Organic seeds like pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower contain good fats, high protein, and fibre that control diabetes and cholesterol, thereby, preventing heart disease.
- Beans- Chickpeas, kidney beans, and other beans contain protein and soluble fibres which are active elements that control diabetes. Organic beans are always better than canned beans.
- Berries- Berries are the best alternative to sweets for diabetic people. They are full of fibre, antioxidants, and anthocyanins, which help boost insulin production, thus helping you reverse diabetes.
- Turmeric- Turmeric contains curcumin which is extremely useful in controlling blood sugar levels, reducing inflammation, and preventing heart diseases.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon has antioxidants that can lower blood sugar levels. It also helps in reducing hemoglobin A1c, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels.
- Barley- Replacing rice with barley can lower blood sugar significantly. The soluble fibre in barley slows the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates.
- Oats- Oats is always a healthy breakfast choice as it is rich in soluble fibre and enzymes which slow down the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar in the blood.
- Chia seeds- Chia seeds have less digestible carbohydrates and more fibre content. They help in regulating blood sugar, reduce weight, and keep blood pressure under control.
- Flaxseed- Flaxseeds are rich in magnesium, protein, fibre, and good fats that are required to control blood sugar levels.
- Broccoli- Broccoli is rich in chromium, antioxidants, fibres and Vitamin C, which play an important role in regulating blood sugar levels. Relish a cup of broccoli soup or pasta!
All the listed benefits of these food items are more when they are organically farmed. You can make a conscious choice of switching to organic products with 24 Mantra Organic, India’s #1 organic food brand.