Spice business is one of the most ancient trades in the world and since that time Indian spices are in massive demand globally. Indian spice merchants were one of the richest and most popular in those eras. Spices are herbs that are not only used to make food more appetizing and aromatic but they also offer various health advantages. You can enjoy a great dish with Indian spices and also get health benefits out of it.
Below is a list of some of the most commonly used spices and their benefits.
- Cloves – Cloves are rich in anti-bacterial properties and hence it is used for curing tooth and gum issues. Due to these characteristics, every toothpaste uses clove as an important ingredient. Clove oil is used as one of the main ingredients in perfume because it keeps skin free from germs and resists bacterial growth. Also, clove is used to ease digestion and relieves you from vomiting and loose motion.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is also used to make perfumes but it also has immense health benefits. It aids in digestion and also alleviates symptoms of cold and cough. It helps to build a strong resistance against winter viruses and flues. It also gives you relief from menstruation pain, tension or anxiety, diarrhoea and it increases the blood circulation in our body.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is the most popular spice of all. It is used in a wide range of dishes. Turmeric is a heavy health booster. It is a powerful antioxidant and also prevents cancer. It is also used to cure Alzheimer’s and swelling of the bone joints like knee and ankle. Turmeric helps to keep the liver clean by cleansing and flushing out the toxins from our system.
- Ginger – Ginger is one of the most popular spices in Asian countries. It is impossible to mess up food in terms of taste and smell when it is prepared with ginger. It not only spices up a dish but also has various health benefits. It relieves cold, clears the nasal blockage, cures joint pains, and accelerates blood circulation.
- Bay leaf – Bay leaf has a fantastic aroma. In ancient times the Greeks used bay leaf as a symbol of knowledge, status and dignity. The bay leaf also possesses some impressive health benefits. It detoxifies the body and cleanses the system, controls diabetes and slows down the ageing process of our body organs. It also helps to heal a wound quicker than its natural healing process rate, maintains good heart health, protects the respiratory system, helps in digestion and prevents certain types of bacterial attacks on the body.
- Curry leaves – Curry leaves are not too popular among North Indians but are very commonly used by the South Indians. The basic purpose of curry leaves is a lot like the bay leaves which are added in dishes just for flavour. But curry leaves have some incredible health benefits. It is beneficial to our body in more ways than we know. Curry leaves are rich in antioxidants which clears the liver and flushes out the waste. This process is called detoxification. It accelerates the blood circulation and also keeps a check on the sugar level in our blood. It prevents diabetes and also keeps the cholesterol level low. Curry leaves are also used to fight leukaemia.