When there is a healthier option, why would anyone go for white sugar that gradually puts your health under risk? Yes, jaggery is one such healthy substitute for sugar, which comes with medicinal properties. When it comes to Jaggery calories, 100 grams of jaggery may contain 383 calories.
Jaggery calories Vs Sugar Calories
Sugar and jaggery, both contain 60 calories per teaspoon. But since, no chemicals or adulterations are done in the process, the nutrient content in Jaggery calories is high.
Jaggery calories chart:
- 100 grams – 383 calories
- 50 grams – 184 calories
- 10 grams – 38.3 calories
- 1 tsp – 22 calories
- 1 tbsp – 66 calories
- Jaggery black tea
I am pretty sure, many of us might be knowing this recipe, but for those who haven’t tasted jaggery tea, this healthy Jaggery calories drink is for you.
- ½ tsp tea powder / 1 tea bag
- ½ piece of jaggery cube
- 1 cup of water
How to make:
- Add 1 cup of water and ½ piece of jaggery cube to a teapot and heat until the jaggery dissolves fully in water.
- When the water starts to boil, add ½ tsp tea powder and switch off the stove.
- If you are using a tea bag, dip once or twice and take it from the cup. Too much dipping can taste bitter.
- Wheat laddoo with jaggery
- 1–1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 200 gm jaggery
- 120 ml of water
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
How to make:
- Dry roast the whole wheat flour in a heavy-bottomed pan on low flame until an aroma comes and color changes. Keep aside to let it cool.
- Now add jaggery and water in a cooking pan and heat until the jaggery dissolves.
- Allow the water to boil for 5 mins to form a thick syrup.
- Allow the syrup to cool down so that you can start adding flour and mix comfortably.
- Add ghee and knead a little.
- Take about two tablespoons each of this dough and form the shape of a laddu.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy it.
Different ways you can use jaggery
- Instead of sugar, you can use jaggery syrup while making purees for babies or kids.
- You can use jaggery cubes instead of sugar to make black tea.
- To get rid of seasonal allergies and infections, heat a laddu-sized jaggery piece slightly and sprinkle a pinch of turmeric on it. Roll it to bite-sized balls and have it as an immunity booster.
- Drink a glass of warm water mixed with jaggery on an empty stomach in the morning. This drink controls the acidity and helps you manage your weight.
- You can replace refined sugar with jaggery and make any dessert healthier.
- You can also have a bite of jaggery after food to improve digestion.
But before you try out these recipes and reap the goodness of Jaggery calories, make sure you have the pure form of jaggery, that is free from chemicals. Jaggery is the best healthy superfood that can be best used as a sweetener in any dish.