Moong dal, also known as green gram, is a protein-packed vegetarian superfood that comes with amazing nutritional benefits. Moong dal comes in two varieties – green moong dal (split with skin) and yellow moong dal. Though they are almost the same, the nutritional values slightly differ.
Comparison of yellow and green moong dal nutrition facts
|Green Moong Dal nutrition||Yellow Moong Dal nutrition|
But when compared to other dals, moong dal is a healthy food with low carbs. Its rich nutrient content is believed to treat many ailments. Here are the key facts about moong dal nutrition:
- Good for weight loss – moong dal gives a fuller feeling after eating, hence improves your metabolism and controls your weight.
- Improves heart health – the yellow moong dal is rich in iron and potassium. It helps in lowering blood pressure and reduces muscle cramps. Including moong dal in your daily diet can protect your body against irregular heartbeat.
- Ample benefits of moong dal nutrition – being a highly nutrient-food, moong dal is packed with essential minerals like potassium, magnesium, copper, and iron. It also contains fiber, Vitamin B6, and loads of high-quality protein. Being a nutritious food, moong dal is one of the unavoidable Indian vegetarian dishes.
- Helps control diabetes – moong dal comes with a low glycemic index. Thus, it helps bring down the blood glucose, insulin, and fat levels in the body, thereby controlling diabetes.
- Improved blood circulation – moong dal contains a rich content of iron that helps in the proper production of red blood cells. Including moong dal in your diet prevents anemia and improves the overall blood circulation to the different parts of the body.
- Reduce the risk of chronic disease – the antioxidant properties of moong dal help in neutralizing the free radicals, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, inflammation, and other diseases.
- Good for digestive health – the soluble fiber called pectin in moong beans keep your bowels regular by speeding up the movement of food through your gut. Studies also show that moong dal helps to boost your gut’s immune deficiencies. This is why it helps to lower the colon cancer risk.
- Moong dal nutrition facts for healthy pregnancy – pregnant women are advised to eat moon dal recipes as it contains plenty of folates. Folate is essential for the optimal growth and development of your baby inside the womb. Also, it includes the right amount of iron, protein, and fiber, which are essential during pregnancy.
- It can be made in different ways – moong dal is a versatile food that can be cooked in many ways, with no much effort. Instead of using other beans, add moong dal in your curries, salads, and soups. This way, you can enjoy a healthy diet of moong dal nutrition.
High in antioxidants and nutrients, moong dal is one of the essential ingredients in Indian kitchen items. It’s weight loss benefits along with lowering of cholesterol and diabetes makes it one of the highly valued superfoods in Indian vegetarian menu.