Foods to fight off flu and the winter blues
During winter a lot of us prefer to stay at home which also results in us staying away from the sunlight. It results in a deficiency of vitamin D. Our food habit changes a lot during winter. We eat less and have less appetite because we try to avoid any outdoor activity to stay away from the chill.
The best way to avoid winter flu is to strengthen our immune system. This can be done by consuming the following foods.
- Oatmeal – Let’s start with the morning meal. Avoid cakes and cornflakes for breakfast and instead you can start having oats. It is loaded with zinc and soluble fiber. Zinc strengthens the immune system of our body while the fiber helps to keep our body warm and full for a longer period of time. Avoid consumption of brown sugar. Instead top oatmeal with some fruits like strawberries, blueberries or some other dry fruits. This can enhance the taste of your breakfast and enrich your health even more.
- Pomegranate – Pomegranate is a natural antioxidant that gives your meal a burst of freshness and taste. It comprises essential vitamins A, C, E, zinc, and selenium. It fuels our immune system to fight against the chilly air of winter and prevents our body from catching a cold. It also keeps our blood pressure under control. People who suffer from high cholesterol, must include pomegranate in their daily diet. You can also opt for pomegranate on top of your oatmeal bowl for a versatile taste.
- Potatoes – Potatoes are a rich source of carbohydrate which helps to keep our body warm in this season. It is a heat-producing food item which also accelerates the blood flow.
- Fish – Fish has a decent amount of fat and we need healthy fats to function properly. Fish is an extremely high source of healthy fats which also helps to maintain the level of our happy hormones like dopamine and serotonin. But if you are a vegetarian, then you opt for plant-based foods that are rich in omega 3 fats.
- Water – During the winter season, we tend to drink less water which results in a weakening immune system. Make sure to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day as it eliminates the possibility of catching any type of flu during winter.
- All types of citrus fruits – Vitamin C helps protect our body from any type of infection and flu and also helps to shorten the duration of the illness. It also protects our skin from the winter dryness. During winter most of us suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Vitamin C is the best way to avoid it. Even if you are feeling fatigued or experiencing stress or trauma, Vitamin C is immediately deployed from our adrenal glands. You can also go for vitamin C supplements but having it through raw fruits gives you the purest form of it.