This reminds me of the popular saying “Eat breakfast like a king” by American author and nutritionist Adelle Davis. The morning breakfast should be wholesome and healthy that includes all the essential nutrients and protein needed for the digestive system. That being said; if you are looking for a healthy morning meal that can be made within half an hour, then this rava idli recipe is the right choice to go for.
For making rava idli recipe, you don’t have to do the grinding or fermenting process that we normally do for making idli. The rava idlis are prepared with rava (sooji).
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: South Indian
Ingredients required for making rava idli recipe:
- 1 cup rava
- ¾ cup curd / yogurt to whisk
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 tsp chana dal
- A pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 inch finely chopped ginger
- 1 chilli finely chopped
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp grated carrot (you can also add peas if you want)
- ¼ tbsp turmeric
- Salt as required
- ½ cup water
- 5 cashews that care cut half
How to make rava idli recipe:
- Heat a kadai and add 3 tsp oil. Splutter the mustard seeds and add ½ tsp jeera, 1 tsp chana dal and a pinch of asafoetida along with the curry leaves.
- Once the raw smell goes, add 1 chilli, 1 ginger and sauté for a minute. You will get nice flavour.
- If you love to add vegetables, you can add 2 tbsp grated carrot, boiled peas, ¼ tsp turmeric and sauté for minutes. You can also skip this step if you don’t like to add vegetables.
- Keep on low flame and add 1 cup rava and roast for 5 minutes till they become aromatic and change to brown color.
- Set aside the rava on a bowl to make it cool.
- In the bowl, add ¾ cup curd, 2 tbsp coriander and ½ tsp salt (salt as per your requirement).
- Mix well to form a thick batter. You can mix well using a spoon.
- To make the batter smoother, add ½ cup water and mix again.
- Rest the batter for 15 minutes until the rava dissolves in the water.
- After soaking the rava for 15 minutes, add water and mix to form an idli batter consistency.
- Now take your idli plate and grease with oil and place cashews in the centre.
- Before you pour the batter to the plate, you can add ¼ tsp baking soda for the idli to bubble up.
- Now pour the batter immediately to the plate and steam for 13 minutes on medium flame.
- Your rave idli is ready to serve with a coconut chutney or sambar.
Make sure you add baking soda and pour the batter immediately to the idli plate. Do not allow the batter to rest after adding baking soda. Rava idli recipe is an easy to cook healthy breakfast which your kids will love to have. By adding all the essential herbs, vegetables and spices, you can enjoy these soft, fluffy rava idlis with chutney or sambar.