Brown chana is popularly known as Bengal gram, which is grown in regions with a temperate climate. They are first soaked and then boiled to bring out their nutty taste and grainy texture, and can be mixed with other vegetables to prepare a delicious dish. The brown chana is very rich in vitamins and protein and is the best substitute for chicken or red meat. It also offers a wide range of health benefits like helping to maintain body weight, helping in digestion and strengthening the resistance of the body. Including it in your regular diet is going to boost your health in many ways. Below are some of the detailed discussions on the nutritional values of brown chana.
- Rich in nutritional values – 28 grams of brown chana consists of 46% of calories. Of this 67% of the calories are derived from carbohydrate and the rest of the calories include proteins and fat. Besides this, it also consists of high protein and fiber which helps us to be physically strong and builds our stamina.
A 28-gram brown chana consists of
- 46 calories
- 8 grams of carbs
- 2 grams of fiber
- 3 grams of protein
- Helps to deal with irregular eating habits – The fiber and protein in brown chana digest very slowly. Hence it gives you satisfaction for a longer time which helps you cut off unnecessary carbs and calorie-intake in between meals. This is a great way to keep your body weight at the check and also helps to prevent obesity.
- Rich in green protein – Brown chana is the best source of protein for vegetarians. 28 grams of brown chana consists of 3 grams of protein. Such a massive level of plant-based protein concentration is rarely found in any vegetarian source of food. It strengthens bones, builds muscles and protects us from various diseases.
- Controls blood sugar – Brown peas consist of low GI (Glycemic Index) which prevents the level of blood sugar to rise immediately after a meal. People with blood sugar or diabetes should concentrate more on low GI food. Brown chana is also rich in fiber and protein which controls the blood sugar. Fiber and protein both take time to digest and slowly get released in our system preventing a surprising rise in the blood sugar level.
- Helps in digestion – Brown chana consists of soluble fiber which increases the number of healthy bacteria in our gut. This bacteria helps to digest food easily and also it prevents the growth of unhealthy bacteria and in the process prevents colon cancer, irritable bowel syndrome and some other digestive disorders.
- Protects us from heart disease – Apart from possessing a high composition of fiber and protein, brown chana also comprises magnesium and potassium which are key factors that promote heart health by preventing the blood pressure from rising. Also, the soluble fiber reduces the bad ‘LDL’ cholesterol level which harms the heart.
Brown chana is affordable and also easily available throughout the year. It also adds taste if put in other dishes. They are rich in vitamins, protein, and fiber which offers us many health benefits that range from controlling blood pressure to reducing the risk of certain types of cancer. Including brown chana will boost your immunity and will provide extra strength to your muscles to carry out day-to-day activities.