Have you ever tried this super-healthy dal khichdi recipe for weight loss? If not, then here’s this guide to help you make easy and yummy dal khichdi at home. It is one of the healthy Indian dishes that can be prepared for lunch with readily available ingredients at home. Also, if you want to try something different from the usual rice recipes, this one’s a big hit. So let’s get into the making session.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- Course: lunch
- Cuisine: Indian
Ingredients required for making dal khichdi recipe:
- ½ cup moong dal that is already soaked for 20 minutes
- ½ cup of rice soaked for 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 tsp jeera/ cumin
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ onion finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 3 ½ cup water
- Salt as required
How to make dal khichdi recipe:
- Heat the pressure cooker. Add 1 tbsp ghee, 1 tsp jeera/cumin, 1 bay leaf and a pinch of asafoetida and sauté well.
- Add ½ chopped onion till it turns golden brown.
- To this, add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, one green chilli slit in the centre and continue to sauté.
- Once the raw smell goes, add one tomato and sauté till it turns smushy.
- Further, add ¼ tsp turmeric and salt as per your requirement.
- Add ½ cup rice and ½ cup moong dal to this mixture.
- Keep the flame on low, and sauté for a minute till a subtle flavour of moong dal comes.
- Pour 3 ½ cup of water and stir well. If you feel the consistency is hard, you can add 4-5 cups of water to make it watery.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for five whistles.
- Once the pressure is settled, gently mix 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Your perfect moong dal khichdi is ready to serve with pickle or curd.
- If you like to include vegetables, you can add carrot, beans, peas.
- Do not pour the entire water altogether. Instead, adjust the quantity of water to the consistency you are looking for.
- For better taste and feel, serve it hot.
Here we have used moong dal as it is healthy and safe for your gut than toor dal or chana dal. You can also prepare this moong dal khichdi recipe and serve if you have kids at home. Children will love the colour and flavour of this dish.