Coconut oil is widely regarded as a superfood due to its unique combination of fatty acids. It is derived from coconut flesh. But what is the deal with virgin coconut oil? Virgin coconut oil is unrefined and unprocessed coconut oil, preserving all the goodness of the oil. Virgin versions of coconut oil are extracted via cold-pressed technology. This technology removes the need of heating elements from the extraction process. Thus ensuring that the natural goodness of the coconut remains intact. There are many health benefits of virgin coconut oil.
Virgin coconut oil uses and benefits range from healthy skin, to healthy heart, improved brain function and much more. Let’s discuss some of the most prominent health benefits of virgin coconut oil.
Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil
- Improves Heart Health: Researchers have reported that consuming coconut oil as a staple diet leads to very low rates of heart disease. For example, the Kitavan community of Papua New Guinea eat a lot of coconut, and have little stroke or heart disease.
- For immunity and metabolism: Coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). It is a type of fat that helps our body burn more calories than most other fats thus causing faster metabolism, fat burn and aiding weight loss. Reduced weight and presence of lauric acid in virgin coconut oil also improves immunity.
- Has antimicrobial effect: The fatty acids in coconut oil constitute almost 50% of lauric acid which forms monolaurin after getting digested. Lauric acid and monolaurin kill harmful pathogens, be it bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Using coconut oil as a mouthwash — through a process called oil pulling, benefits oral hygiene as well.
- Anti-inflammatory nature of coconut oil: Some of the virgin coconut oil uses have nothing to do with eating it. It is used for cosmetic purposes by many people to improve the appearance and quality of their skin and hair due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Virgin coconut oil can improve the moisture content of dry skin and reduce the symptoms of eczema and also protect against hair damage. Doing oil pulling by swishing coconut oil like mouthwash, may kill some of the harmful bacteria in the mouth which results in improvement of dental health.
- Contributes to gut health: Virgin coconut oil also contributes to gut health by nurturing good gut bacteria. Organic virgin coconut oil is packed with anti-microbial lauric acid. This nutrient can aid in restoring healthy balance to an imbalance of bacteria in the gut.
Benefits of virgin coconut oil also include improved brain function, and reduction in belly fat. You can use organic virgin coconut oil in your cooking for a healthy life and also apply it on your hair and skin for healthier skin, hair and appearance.
Try 24 Mantra Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and savour the taste of organic goodness.