Though cinnamon is an effective remedy for various health issues, cinnamon side effects are a concern when taken regularly. Some of them include upset tummy, dizziness, nausea, etc.
You might love adding a pinch of cinnamon to your favorite masala curry, but consuming it in large quantities is not a good thing. From lowering blood sugar levels to increased body heat, cinnamon side effects can trigger different people in different ways.
But before we check out the cinnamon side effects, here’s a look at the health benefits of cinnamon:
- Lowers blood sugar and treats diabetes
- Lowers your bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Help treat Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Relieves digestive discomforts
Apart from the multiple benefits of cinnamon, here are some of its side effects in detail.
- Mouth and lip allergies – One of the most common forms of cinnamon consumption is cinnamon tea, which is good for treating cold. But when taken daily or too much consumption, can cause sensitivity to your mouth and lips, causing skin irritation.
- Liver damage – Too much intake of cinnamon can cause liver damage, especially in patients who have existing liver disease or damage.
- Lowers blood sugar drastically – We all know the benefits of cinnamon on lowering blood sugar levels. At the same time, it is a concern that daily intake of cinnamon can drop down your blood sugar too low resulting in dizziness, anxiety, and fatigue.
- Thins your blood – One of the cinnamon side effects is that it thins your blood. Hence proper care needs to be taken when taking it in too much quantities. Make sure, cinnamon is not taken with other blood-thinning supplements.
- Increased heart rate – Cinnamon on high doses can be dangerous for heart patients as it is known to increase your heart rate. When using cinnamon oil, make sure to dilute it to less than 2% before use, as these levels are considered safe for most people.
- Choking hazards – Cinnamon powder has been used by teens as a part of playing games to show who can swallow a tablespoon or more. Swallowing cinnamon powder without water can be hard for your throat and can create a choking hazard that could result in death.
Whether taking cinnamon in the form of cinnamon tea or adding it as a spice to your curry, it is always good to go for organic cinnamon as it enhances the goodness you receive.
Try 24 Mantra Organic Cinnamon and savour the taste of organic goodness.