Brain is the centre that controls everything in our body. Hence, if we want our body and mind to function properly; we need to feed it properly.
Most of us keep looking for foods that help us build muscles, or improve heart health, gut health, etc. But very few of us apply some thought and action to brain health. Brain controls all our mental, physical and physiological functions. It is a good idea to spend some thought on brain health as well. In this blog we will share a list of memory boosting foods.
Knowing and eating the best foods for brain health will help you work towards a good memory.
Memory boosting foods
- Nuts and seeds: Eating more nuts and seeds is not just good for your muscles, heart and gut but also good for the brain. These foods contain omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, which are associated with improved brain function and memory. They are also rich in vitamin E, which protects brain cells from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. A 2014 review concluded that vitamin E may also contribute to improved cognition and reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Sunflower seeds, almonds and hazelnuts contain the highest amount of vit E. You can also include chia seeds, flaxseeds, and peanuts in your diet. They are powerful memory boosting foods.
- Whole grain: The grains which have not lost their nutrition duringexcessive processing. Whole grains retain their bran (the nutritious outer layer), germ (the seed’s nutrient-rich embryo) and the endosperm (the germ’s food supply, which is high in starchy carbs). They are extremely nutritious and beneficial for overall health. They are rich in vitamin E and hence we include them in the best foods for brain health. Brown rice, barley, bulgur wheat, oatmeal, whole-grain bread and whole-grain pasta are some ways to include the goodness of whole grains in your diet.
- Broccoli: One of most hated vegetables on the planet is ironically one of the healthiest foods. It is a low-calorie source of dietary fiber, protein, and a rich source of many antioxidants, vitamins and minerals as well. Broccoli contains a compound called glucosinolate in significant quantities. They produce isothiocyanate when broken down in the body. Isothiocyanate reduces oxidative stress and lowers the risk of neurodegenerative diseases. Broccoli also contains vitamin C and flavonoids, which further boost a person’s brain functions.
- Soy products:Soybean products are rich in protein and a particular group of antioxidants called polyphenols. Polyphenols are associated with a reduced risk of dementia and improved cognitive abilities in regular aging processes. Hence it rightly deserves a place in the list of memory boosting foods.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a deep-yellow spice which is a key ingredient in Indian cuisine. It has a wide range of applications in culinary, medical and cosmetic fields. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to directly enter the brain and benefit the cells. It’s a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that has been linked to the improved memory, mood upliftment and cognitive performance.
Eating these memory boosting foods regularly is definitely going to improve your memory and other brain functions.
Try 24 Mantra Organic’s products and savour the taste of organic goodness.