Whey protein is a popular supplement taken by athletic individuals or sportsperson who follow a strict diet. It boosts the body’s metabolism and enhances the muscle-building process. Various scientific studies conducted around the world have found numerous health benefits from whey protein. Whey is the liquid that separates from milk during the process of cheese production. Whey protein is a mixture of protein that gets isolated from whey. It is highly nutritious and fitness fanatics have often sworn by its benefits.
Some of the health benefits that one can retain by consuming whey protein are as follows:
- It is an excellent source of quality protein: It is a high-quality protein consisting of all the essential amino acids. Thus it promotes muscle growth from increased cell generation. People thus take these protein supplements to improve their physical strength and endurance. Moreover, it is easily digestible, unlike other proteins which cause digestive issues.
- It may lower blood pressure: Many doctors recommend the consumption of milk for regulating the blood pressure. Since whey protein is a derivative of milk itself, thus it may keep one’s blood pressure under check. This effect can be traced back to the presence of bioactive peptides called cytokinins. While it is not a permanent solution for people with high BP but does not increase blood sugar levels.
- It may improve resistance against diabetes: Type 2 diabetes is a medical disorder which impairs the body’s ability to prepare insulin and thus cannot breakdown glucose. This leads to high blood sugar levels in the body which becomes a fatal condition. However, whey protein can regulate the blood sugar levels in the body and may prove effective against diabetes.
- It may reduce inflammation: A group of studies has pointed out that whey protein may have the ability to reduce inflammation in the body. Whey protein supplements can significantly reduce C-reactive protein (CRP). This is one of the key markers of inflammation in the body.
- It aids in weight loss: Being a solid source of protein it can keep the body full for a long time. Thus it promotes weight loss by reducing our tendency to eat and decreasing the appetite. This becomes a great incentive for fitness enthusiasts to consume whey protein supplements.
WHAT IS THE SAFE AND STANDARD AMOUNT OF INTAKE?
At the end of the day, it is a supplement and nutritionists and dieticians always advise on consuming whole foods for gaining more health benefits. Moreover, only a fixed amount of whey protein can benefit the body and what goes beyond the certified amount can only become the root of other problems like nausea, pain, bloating, cramping, flatulence, and diarrhea. Hence it is always better to consult with a doctor or nutritionist before incorporating it into your diet. Despite containing powerful health benefits, increased dosage of whey protein daily can harm the body.