Most of us have experienced gas issues at some time or the other. It is a physically uncomfortable and socially embarrassing situation. When one is having a gas problem, they feel abdominal fullness, tightness, and movement of gas in the abdomen. This is a very uncomfortable condition. Flatulence is when the feeling of abdominal fullness occurs and excessive amounts of gas is passed.
Flatulence is very common and about 15 – 23% of Asians and 15 – 30% of Americans complain that they have this condition. Children also are afflicted with this condition and some of them get bullied because of passing excessive gas.
Here are some tips for stomach gas treatment.
- Eat slowly, take time to chew your food and give it time to mix with saliva and then swallow
- Do not gulp your food down. You will be swallowing air along with food.
- Chewing gum and sucking on candy should be avoided because you swallow air along with it.
- If you are lactose intolerant make sure you do not consume lactose it may lead to gas issues. Avoid milk and milk products, for better stomach gas treatment.
- Foods such as legumes, soybeans may cause flatulence. But for vegetarians, these are primary sources of proteins. Soak the legumes overnight or at least for a few hours discard the water and wash the legumes again and then cook properly. The gas causing components content is reduced because of this process.
- Fiber is good for our gut health. But if it causing flatulence to stop eating high fiber food. Slowly introduce these foods back into the diet in small quantities and then start increasing the amounts gradually. The gut microflora will get used to it.
- Keep a food diary and to see which food is causing the gas problem. Avoid that food. Certain foods such as cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, beer, and carbonated drinks in some people cause flatulence. Sprouts also sometimes cause gas issues. Remove all the foods which you are suspicious about and include one at a time and see if it causes flatulence.
- Eat a diet which is low in fats. High-fat content in the diet slows down This gives more time for the food to ferment and release gas.
- If you are allergic or intolerant to certain foods avoid them, because they may cause flatulence. For example, gluten intolerance in celiac disease.
- Do not smoke, because when you inhale smoke you swallow air too.
- Avoid using a straw to drink.
- Drink water from a glass, do not drink holding the bottle above because you swallow air along with water. Especially when children do this they gulp a lot of air and makes stomach gas treatment difficult later on.
- Drink plenty of water to make it possible for the stools to pass smoothly and not allow food to ferment much.
- Regular exercise also keeps the digestive system working properly, does not allow food to ferment and produce gas.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet.
If flatulence is chronic and none of the remedial measures work to see the doctor. In many cases, the underlying cause is not determined. There may be some other reason which need stomach gas treatment and medical attention