A low carb diet for weight loss limits carbohydrates and incorporates foods high in protein and fiber. This article will discuss some of those tips and tricks.
There is so much information and misinformation surrounding weight loss especially because obesity has become so common. One confusion around weight loss is about carbs. In this blog we will discuss the good carbs for weight loss and detail on a low carb diet for weight loss.
Before we discuss about good carbs for weight loss, first let’s understand what are good carbs and what are bad carbs:
Knowing more about carbs
Carbohydrates are one of the three macronutrients. The other two are protein and fat. Carbs are molecules that have carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms.
Dietary carbohydrates have three main categories:
- Sugars: These are sweet, short-chain carbohydrates found in foods like glucose, fructose, galactose, and sucrose.
- Starches: These are long chains of glucose molecules, which eventually get broken down into glucose in the digestive system.
- Fiber: Humans cannot digest fiber, but the bacteria in the digestive system can make use of some of them. Plus, eating fiber is vital to your overall health.
Primary purpose of carbohydrates is to provide fuel for our bodies. Most carbs get broken down or transformed into glucose, which can be used as energy. Carbs can also be turned into fat and stored for later use.
Good Carbs vs bad Carbs
There are many different types of carbohydrate-containing foods. They can vary in their health effects. They are primarily of two types:
- Whole carbs/Good carbs/Complex carbs: Whole carbs are unprocessed carbs which contain the fiber found naturally in the food. Whole carbs include vegetables, quinoa, barley, legumes, potatoes and whole grains
- Refined carbs/Bad carbs/Simple carbs: Refined carbs have been processed and had the natural fiber removed or changed. Examples are sugar-sweetened beverages, white bread, pastries, etc.
Numerous studies associate refined carbohydrate consumption with health conditions like obesity and type 2 diabetes and tend to cause spikes in blood sugar levels.
Whole carbohydrates are loaded with nutrients and fiber and don’t cause the same spikes and dips in blood sugar levels.
Low carb diet for weight loss
One of the fastest growing trends in the weight loss industry is low carb diet for weight loss. But there are speculations if it really works. These types of diets restrict carbohydrates while making room for plenty of protein and fat.
There are several studies that show how low carb diets can help you lose weight. Some of these studies show the effectiveness of low carb diet for weight loss and improvements in various other health markers, including HDL “good” cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, and others when compared to the standard “low fat” diet.
If you also want to follow low carb diet for weight loss you should consume the following food items:
- leafy green vegetables
- cauliflower and broccoli
- nuts and seeds, including nut butter
- oils, such as coconut oil, olive oil, and rapeseed oil
- some fruit, such as apples, blueberries, and strawberries
- unsweetened dairy products including plain whole milk and plain Greek yogurt
Try 24 Mantra Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and savour the taste of organic goodness.