- MOST RECENT
WHAT FOOD ITEMS HELP IN TREATING A FATTY LIVER
Fatty liver is a condition where fat builds up within the liver and it constitutes more than 5% of the liver. Non-alcoholic liver disease (NALD) is an umbrella term for a number of fatty liver diseases. Several factors like obesity, extra belly fat, high levels of insulin, increased intake of refined carbs, consumption of too much of sugary and processed foods contribute to the condition.
Non-alcoholic fatty liver is a reversible condition and it can be brought under control with a proper, balanced diet. Read on to know about the food items that can treat your fatty liver and keep the possibility of other major diseases at bay.
- Garlic: It has been associated with reducing body weight and preventing the accumulation of fat in the organs. Garlic is beneficial for those with fatty liver and many people even take it in the form of dietary supplements.
- Leafy greens: Needless to say, green vegetables are associated with good health and it is the key to a disease-free life. Broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, and kale are rich in antioxidants and highly effective in reducing the fat deposits. They also have beneficial plant compounds which reduce the oxidative stress.
- Coffee: Caffeine is known to lower the number of abnormal liver enzymes thus people consuming this beverage are at a lower risk of liver diseases. It prevents the formation of fat and collagen within the liver, which causes fatty liver condition.
- Green tea: Some studies have concluded that green tea can improve liver function by reducing the storage of fat. Moreover, it is rich in antioxidants which promotes good liver health. Green tea consumption on a regular basis can improve the level of liver enzymes and prevent the accumulation of fat deposits.
- Fruits: Blueberry, cranberry, grape, grapefruit, and avocado prove to be of immense help for people suffering from fatty liver. Being rich in antioxidants, they protect the liver from damage and can reduce the risk of other chronic liver diseases like cirrhosis.
- Nuts: Walnuts possess a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids and thus they are useful for people with a fatty liver condition. Omega-3 fatty acids basically improve the liver fat levels and HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) level in the individuals.
- Fish: Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, tuna, and trout are high in omega-3 fatty acids. They also possess anti-inflammatory properties and contribute towards good liver health. They prevent the build-up of fat and lower the risk of cardiac diseases as well.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is highly recommended by nutritionists all over the world as it helps to maintain a balanced weight. It can lower the abnormal enzyme level in the liver and improve the metabolism of the body.
Check with your doctor or dietician as the food portions and plan will differ according to the severity of your condition. Opt for a healthy routine of physical exercise along with a proper diet and you will find yourself in better health.