- MOST RECENT
How to Enhance Your Vegetable Poha Recipe
Poha for flattened rice is a common dish in India that goes by several names in different parts of the country, including aval in Chennai, avalakki in Karnataka, and chuda in Orissa. When made with vegetables, it is considered a superfood. That’s because vegetable poha has all the goodness of vegetables in it, along with essential vitamins and minerals already present in poha. The organic version of poha is even more beneficial for health as it is free of harmful chemical compounds.
Despite its popularity and delicious taste, vegetable poha can be tricky to make. Soak it in water for too long, and you’ll end up with mushy, sticky poha. Rinsing in water can leave it too dry to swallow. So, what is the right vegetable poha recipe to make it fluffy and moist? In this article, we’ll divulge a few secret tips of the best vegetable poha recipe.
Before we reveal the secret of the best vegetable poha recipe, let’s look at the nutritional value of poha.
Poha Nutritional Value Per 100 g
|Serving size 100 g|
|Energy 110 kcal|
|Saturated Fat||0.344 g|
|Monosaturated fat||1.986 g|
|Polysaturated fat||0.397 g|
|Sodium 1288 mmg||210 mg|
|Potassium 738 mg||117 mg|
|Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g||18.8 g|
|Dietary Fiber 10 g||0.9 g|
|6% of RDI* (110 kcal)|
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie need|
source: Fatsecret India
Best Vegetable Poha Recipe
Here is a quick vegetable poha recipe that will leave everyone wanting for more:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 cups poha soaked
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 cup carrots (small, diced)
- 1 potato (small, diced or boiled)
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A handful of curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp red chilli powder
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Juice of a half lemon
- Add oil to a pan and heat until the oil is hot.
- Into the hot oil, add some mustard seeds, curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
- Let the seeds sputter, and then add finely chopped onions. Saute the mixture until onion turns soft and translucent.
- Add peas, carrots and potatoes and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder.
- Cook till the masala and all vegetables are moist.
- Add some water if the veggies start to stick on the pan.
- Add the poha. Mix until combined. Switch off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and give one last stir. Cover the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and garnish the poha with coriander leaves.
And your vegetable poha is ready. Serve hot for best taste. We hope you will try this vegetable poha recipe and let us know your thoughts about it.
Tips For Making the Best Vegetable Poha Recipe
Now that you know a quick vegetable poha recipe, here are some secret tips to consider while making the perfect dish.
- Use a thick variety of poha to avoid lumpy and mushy texture. Thin poha absorbs water and becomes brittle while cooking.
- Rinse poha well and check if it is ready to be cooked. To check, press one grain of poha, and if it gets mashed, then you can start cooking it. If you are unable to mash it, then it means the poha is still dry, and you should sprinkle more water on it.
- Another secret of the vegetable poha recipe that no one will tell you is that you shouldn’t mix the poha rigorously once it is in the pan. Gently mixing all the ingredients ensures that the grain doesn’t break off.
- Add lemon juice at the end and immediately cover the pan so that the dish retains its moisture and taste.
- Use boiled potatoes instead of raw for making poha easy and super-fast to cook.
- Soaking or washing the poha is a super-critical step that defines the outcome of the dish. To soak it perfectly, wash poha till it is wet in the strainer. Let it sit. The best time to rinse the poha is when you have prepared all the other ingredients and are ready to cook.
- You can also add some roasted peanuts for added texture and crunch. Peanuts are a good source of protein and will only make your poha nutritious in addition to enhancing its taste.
- If you feel your poha is dry, add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan. The poha will puff up.
Amazing Facts About Poha
Now that you have the perfect vegetable poha recipe and the secrets to getting it right the first time, here are some amazing facts about poha that you should know.
- Poha is gluten-free, making it ideal for people with irritable bowel syndrome, or anyone who has a problem digesting wheat products.
- Poha is a rich source of iron, vitamin C and A, and adding vegetables to it only makes it a superfood, which is not only cost-effective but also easy to make.
- Since poha is high on fiber content, it makes you feel full for a long time. This makes it an ideal food for people who want to lose weight or avoid eating junk.
- In Goan cuisine, poha is cooked with curd, making it a rich source of calcium and protein.
- Poha is also recommended to heart patients since it has high magnesium content in it.
The secret to the best vegetable poha recipe lies in the intricacies that no one will tell you. If your poha is too dry, it will be difficult to swallow, while mushy poha can make you not want more. That is why poha needs to be cooked perfectly. It’s a superfood that is loaded with essential minerals and vitamins and can be consumed as a breakfast, snack, or even as a proper meal. Not to mention that the organic variant is even more nutritious due to the absence of harmful chemical compounds. So don’t do any injustice to this popular dish. Cook it well and keep your family healthy and fit. Try 24 Mantra Organics’s Poha and enjoy Vegetable Poha Recipe.