- MOST RECENT
How to Make and Store Fresh Roasted Cumin Powder - 24 Mantra Organic
How to Make and Store Fresh Roasted Cumin Powder
Roasted cumin powder is prepared by dry roasting jeera over a tawa or pan and then grinding the cumin kernels into a powder.
This roasted ground cumin powder can be easily sourced from the market, but if you are someone who enjoys natural and authentic flavours, you would be more inclined towards roasting and grinding your cumin powder.
Whether it’s lip-smacking raita or the savoury Dahi bara, roasted cumin powder is one of the primary seasonings that comes to mind of cooks.
Its powdery texture and roasted aroma are second to none, and by simply garnishing your dish with roasted ground cumin, you can instantly enhance the flavour and taste of your dish.
Cumin seeds are used widely among Indian households. Its distinct aroma and signature flavour have made it an inseparable ingredient of hundreds of Indian cuisines. Aside from the taste enhancements, roasted cumin powder also numerous health benefits.
In a report published by the NCBI, it was concluded that cumin seeds help in increasing the pace of the digestion by speeding up the enzyme actions.
Another study by the NCBI also pointed out that consumption of toasted cumin powder helped in easing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
This makes cumin seeds an excellent diet constituent for people suffering from digestive ailments. If you are looking to prepare your roasted cumin powder, this post lays out all the intricacies involved in the preparation and storage of roasted ground cumin.
How To Make Roasted Cumin Powder?
The quality of cumin is determined by examining the cumin kernels and assessing their aroma and texture. However, when it is ground, you won’t know the quality of seeds as the pre-packaged roasted cumin powder has already lost its aroma.
Moreover, the majority of the cumin powder available in the market is prepared using inorganically grown cumin seeds that may have traces of harmful chemicals and pesticides.
Also, there is the rampant use of preservatives as well to enhance the shelf life of the roasted cumin powder.
When looking to prepare organic cumin powder at your home, make sure that you use organic cumin seeds as these are guaranteed to be free from pesticides and are grown in adherence to international standards.
Moreover, organic food items are planet friendly, and their growth does not hinder the ecological balance.
When you buy organic products, you can be assured that you are doing your bit to support sustainable agricultural practices that benefit us as well as the planet in the long run.
Hence, you should choose organic cumin seeds to make the powder if you wish to maximise the health benefits of this savoury seasoning.
Preparing roasted jeera powder at home is very simple. We can even say that it is one of the most simple seasonings that can be prepared in a matter of minutes!
Ingredients For Toasted Ground Cumin
Here are the ingredients and equipment’s required to prepare and store freshly roasted jeera powder at home.
- Organic cumin seeds.
- Roasting equipment (Pan, Skillet, etc.)
- Grinding equipment to crush the cumin into a powder.
- Airtight container to store the powder.
That’s it! There is no special requirement for preparing high-quality and aromatic roasted cumin powder at home. Let’s now begin with the preparation of our toasted cumin powder.
Roasted Jeera Powder Preparation Steps
Now that we have our ingredients ready, we can now begin with our preparation steps.
- Place the tawa/pan on a stove and set the flame to high.
- Once the tawa is hot, put the organic cumin seeds on the top of the tawa while moving them constantly.
- In about 30 seconds, you will notice that the cumin seeds will start changing colour and give a strong aroma.
- As soon as this happens, set the flame to medium and turn around the cumin seeds for a few times.
- The cumin seeds would turn smoky with an even stronger cumin aroma.
- Move the cumin seeds very fast on the tawa to ensure a uniform roasting and colour.
- After 3-5 minutes, turn the flame off and let the cumin seeds come to room temperature.
- Once the cumin seeds have cooled down, grind the seeds using a manual grinder or an electric grinder until the roasted cumin seeds turn into a coarse powder.
- Your roasted cumin powder is ready! Store the powder in an airtight container to minimise the loss of aroma.
Roasted Cumin Powder Recipe Notes
Here are a few crucial points that can help you prepare the optimal toasted cumin powder.
- There is a very fine line between perfectly roasted cumin seeds and burnt cumin seeds. Ensure that you roast the seeds properly.
- If it seems difficult, don’t push for a uniform brown colour of the seeds. Once it’s grounded, you won’t be able to tell the difference.
- Roasted cumin powder tends to lose its aroma over time. Hence, it’s suggested that you prepare small batches and avoid storing them for prolonged periods for an optimal consumption experience.
So there you folks, that was our take on all things cumin. Hope you found it informative.
Try 24 Mantra Organic’s Cumin and enjoy making fresh roasted cumin powder at home!