- MOST RECENT
How to Make Flaxseed Powder at Home?
How to Make Flaxseed Powder at Home?
If you are looking to include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, your search can end at flaxseeds. It is a superfood that has loads of essential nutrients and health benefitting compounds.
It is consumed as a dietary supplement or as a constituent of healthy dishes, but many people enjoy flaxseeds raw. However, when you consume flaxseed in its whole form, it passes within your digestive tract and its nutrients may not get fully absorbed.
Hence, it’s suggested that you roast and ground the flaxseed to release its nutrients and facilitate easy absorption by your body. Moreover, roasting enhances the texture and flavor of the flaxseed, making it easier to use in a number of dishes.
This article lays out all the steps involved in how to make flaxseed powder at home and what ingredients would you need in making unadulterated and high-quality flaxseed powder at home.
Ingredients Required To Make Flaxseed Powder At Home
If the aroma and flavor of store-bought flaxseed powder do not seem satisfying enough, you can easily prepare flaxseed powder in the comfort of your home. Here is the list of the required ingredients:
- Organic flaxseeds
- Iron pan (for roasting)
- A lid to cover the flaxseeds while roasting
That’s it! Once we are done with the recipe, you’ll be surprised as to why did you buy flaxseed powder from the store if you can prepare this aromatic and highly nutritious powder at home so easily. Moreover, with the store-bought flaxseed powder, you never know what quality of flaxseed went into it.
But when you prepare it at home, you can be sure of its high quality and nutrient composition. Now that we have our ingredients list sorted, let’s look at how to make flaxseed powder.
How To Make Flaxseed Powder
With our ingredients ready, let’s begin with the preparation of flaxseed powder. If you are looking for the steps involved in how to make flaxseed powder for the first time, be sure to check the tips mentioned at the end of this recipe.
- Heat the tawa on a high flame, and ensure that there is no moisture present on the surface.
- Put the flame to low-medium and place the organic flaxseeds on the surface of the tawa.
- Keep stirring the flaxseed over the tawa gently every few seconds.
- Flaxseed has a tendency to pop when hot, so keep a lid handy to cover the surface of the pan whenever required.
- Repeat this process a few times until you find that the flaxseed has roasted evenly.
- In about 3 minutes, you will find that the flaxseed popping has increased and there is a roast-like aroma coming out of it.
- You will also notice that the flaxseeds are popping and you should place a lid over the tawa until the popping subsides.
- Allow the flaxseeds to cool at room temperature.
- Once cool enough, transfer the contents of the tawa in a spice blender.
- Blend at maximum speed for a few seconds, and depending on the consistency that you require, ground the flaxseed into a powder.
- You will notice that the aroma is just marvelous and all your effort in making flaxseed powder at home has paid off!
- Transfer the contents from the blender to an airtight container and consume within 3-4 days. If you want to increase the shelf life, even more, store the container in a refrigerator and consume within a week.
These steps cover everything that you need to know about how to make flaxseed powder. Although whole flaxseed remains fit for consumption for a longer period, the ground powder has considerably short consumption window hence it is crucial that you prepare just enough flaxseed powder that you would be able to consume within 3-4 days.
You must be thinking why does the store-bought flaxseed powder stay good for longer? This is due to the preservatives present in them that increase their shelf life. If you are looking for steps regarding how to make flaxseed powder, it is certain that you are looking to make healthy food choices and store-bought flaxseed powder simply does not fit the bill.
When you make flaxseed powder at home, you can be assured of its purity and chemical-free nature. Moreover, opting for organic flaxseed has numerous advantages as well. They are non-GMO and are guaranteed to be free from harmful chemicals and pesticides that build-up in your bodily systems and leads to various diseases later in life.
Hence, if you choose to prepare flaxseed powder at home, you can be certain that you have made a healthy food choice. Now you know all the steps regarding how to make flaxseed powder.
Flaxseed Powder Recipe Tips
If you are looking at the steps for how to prepare flaxseed powder for the first time, these recipe tips might come in handy.
- Ensure that the surface of the tawa is entirely free of moisture as any moisture on the surface will not result in an optimal roasting process.
- Due to the flaxseed’s tendency to pop, make sure that you take extra care while roasting them.
- Do not overcook the flaxseeds. This gives them a burnt flavor and may even hamper their rich nutrient profile.
Try 24 Mantra Organics’s Flaxseed and enjoy the benefits of this superfood!