- MOST RECENT
Easy to cook pulao recipe
Organic Kala Channa Pulao
for pulao recipe
- 150 gm (¾ cup) black chickpeas or kala channa
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 300 gm (1 ½ cups) basmati rice
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup fresh coriander or cilantro
- ¼ cup pudina or mint leaves
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1” piece cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ¾ tsp yellow asafetida powder
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- water (as required)
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
for the perfect pulao recipe
- Wash and soak the black chickpeas in plenty of water overnight or for 7 to 8 hours. Drain the water and place the soaked chickpeas in the pressure cooker with 3 cups water. Pressure cook the chickpeas until the first whistle, lower the heat and then cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool, as we proceed to the next stapes of the pulao recipe.
- After the chickpeas cool down, strain the cooked chickpeas and reserve the cooking water. Add plain water into the reserved water to make it 3 cups and we’re half way through the incredible pulao recipe.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a blender put in the tomatoes, coriander, mint leaves, ginger and chili if using and blend to a smooth puree. A great pulao recipe involves a smooth puree!
- In a heavy bottomed pan, with a tight fitting lid, heat the oil until warm. Put in the cinnamon stick and the cloves, stir fry for a few seconds until the spices start to sizzle, add the asafetida powder and then put in the ground puree.
- Add in the rest of the spices, the coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- After the oil begins to separate from the ground masala, add the drained rice and the drained cooked chickpeas. This is an important step of the entire pulao recipe.
- Pour in the reserved chickpea water, add the salt and garam masala powder, give it a good stir and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover with a tight lid and cook until done.
- Serve hot or warm with raita.
- Serves 4 to 6
Your falvourful pulao recipeis ready to serve.