for a tasty and healthy urad dal recipe
- Wash the urad dal and soak it for 30-25 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal with salt, asafetida, turmeric powder and 1 cup of water for 2 whistles.
- If you don’t want to use pressure cooker you may have to cook the dal in 1.5 cups of water for little longer, till dal is cooked al dante to get the best of this urad dal recipe.
- By the time steam/pressure is released naturally you can prepare Tadka/tempering.
- For making tempering heat ghee/oil in the big pan, add cumin seeds. Once cumin starts to splutter add green chili, ginger.
- Cook for few seconds and add finely chopped onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat till onion start to turn light pink.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are pulpy. Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cook everything together for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add cooked dal to the pan, if some water is left, cook the dal for few more minutes in the uncovered pan to allow the water to dry up. Just a few more minutes to see the results of your urad dal recipe.
- Top it with green coriander leaves and squeeze lime over it.
- Serve the sookhi dal with Chapati Paratha or any flat bread.