- MOST RECENT
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup safflower oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp asafetida (optional)
- ½ salt
- ½ tsp to ¾ tsp turmeric powder
- reserved chickpea cooking water
- In a blender put in the sesame seeds and lime juice and process. Add in the rest of the ingredients and grind to a smooth paste. Garnish with red chili powder or sumac.
- Serve with vegetable crudites, with bread sticks, slathered over bread or with rice.
SUMAC ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 3 to 4 cups of vegetables (a mix of fresh vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, potatoes)
- 3 tbsp safflower oil or sunflower oil or any other oil
- ½ tsp or more of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin seed powder (jeera powder)
- Sprinkle sumac generously, all over the veggies. In a bow, put in the remaining seasoning ingredients, the oil, pepper, red chili powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well. Pour over the vegetables and toss well to coat all the sides of the vegetables.
- Roast the vegetables in the centre rack of an oven at 200C for 15 to 20 minutes.