- MOST RECENT
Rajma Kebab Recipe – A Proteinaceous Veg Snack
If you didn’t know, kidney beans, also known as Rajma, are an extraordinary source of protein that is plant-based. Additionally, the food item is also rich in vitamins, minerals, fibres, and antioxidants that can provide many health benefits. Other than that, with Rajma one can prepare a variety of delicious dishes, which are healthy and easy to prepare. Furthermore, rajma promotes colon health and helps in preventing colon cancer.
Vegans and vegetarians often find themselves in a dearth of options when it comes to protein sources. According to USDA, a 100-gram serving of raw kidney beans contain about 24 grams of protein. Kidney beans teamed with rice are dubbed as the complete protein meal.
Speaking of which, here is a low-fat recipe for Rajma Kebabs which make for a lip-smacking dish to add to your meals. This is how you can whip up this proteinaceous veg snack.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Calorie count: 1080
Servings: 7-8 people
1 cup Kidney Beans/ Rajma
1 medium-sized potato
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
2 tsp ginger, finely grated
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp Garam Masala
½ tsp Chaat Masala
2 tsp oil
How to cook:
- Soak the rajma overnight in 3 cups of water
- Boil the rajma in a pressure cooker along with the salt for 2 whistles on medium or low flame.
- Boil the potato separately
- Let the rajma cool down and then strain it to remove the extra water, which can later be used as gravy.
- Mash the rajma thoroughly.
- Also, peel the potato and mash it separately.
- Next, to prepare the spices, heat a pan and add 2 tsp of oil in it. Saute cumin seeds for a while till they change colour and then add onions, ginger, and green chillies. Fry the mixture for a few minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves to the mixture and taste it. Adjust seasoning as required and turn off the heat when done. Leave it to cool.
- Mix everything from the mashed rajma and potatoes with the fried onions and cumin seeds preparation. Add seasoning as required and let the mixture cool down.
- After the mixture has cooled down, divide it into 16 equal oval-shaped portions and set them aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan, sprinkle it with oil and start frying your kebabs till they are golden brown on both sides.
- When done, serve hot with your favourite chutney.
Rajma kebabs are a good choice for a wonderful snack with friends and family and a healthy meal as well. You should definitely give this recipe a try especially if someone in your family suffers from diabetes.
A good part of kidney beans is carbs. But, don’t you fret already. The carbs present in kidney beans are the good kinds, also known as the ‘slow-release carbohydrate’. Kidney beans have a very low glycaemic index (29), which makes it an ideal food for diabetics.