- MOST RECENT
Red Poha Recipes and Inspirations Worth Checking Out
When one thinks of instant and healthy Indian breakfast options, poha is one of the first to come to mind. The ingredient, prepared by flattening rice, enjoys great popularity across the country, especially in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh. While your regular variety poha is healthy by itself, healthier alternatives are entering the market. For instance, you have red poha!
The red poha recipes taste no different than the typical poha recipes. Essentially, that means that you get to enjoy your healthy dish with a healthier twist! Let’s explore the goodness of red poha along with some red poha recipes that will blow your mind!
What is Red Poha?
Red poha is made using red rice.
During the preparation of red poha, red rice undergoes parboiling. Then, it is pounded to remove the husk. In this process, the rice gets flattened. It is then naturally dried, where it ferments slightly. Finally, it is dry roasted, graded, and packaged.
The distinct red colour in the rice grain is a result of a high concentration of anthocyanins, which are an essential flavonoid. Research indicates that anthocyanin consumption can prevent cancer! Furthermore, red rice is not highly processed and retains its bran layer, which makes it healthier than regular white rice. Red rice is rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It offers a host of health benefits, ranging from weight loss to cardiovascular health.
As stated earlier, red poha tastes exactly like regular poha. However, the red poha grains are slightly tougher and coarser. Hence, you may have to soak them for a wee bit longer than usual while preparing red poha recipes.
How to Make Red Kanda Poha?
Following is one of the commonest red poha recipes:
- A cup of organic red poha
- Four tablespoons of oil (2+2)
- A teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Two tablespoons of groundnuts
- One medium-sized onion, coarsely chopped
- One small potato, cubed
- Two green chillies, slit
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric
- A teaspoon of sugar
- Salt, as per taste
- A wedge of lemon
- A tablespoon of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash and soak the poha in lukewarm water for about 2-3 minutes. Drain the water and let the red poha sit in the colander for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Now add the potatoes and saute them until they turn light golden-brown. You may add a pinch of salt to quicken the process. Once the potatoes look done, take them out of the pan.
- Add the groundnuts to the hot pan and saute them in oil until they are toasted. Keep aside.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil to the pan and add the mustard seeds to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Drop in the curry leaves and followed by the onions. Saute until the onions turn translucent. Add the green chillies and give everything a good mix.
- Now, add the potatoes, peanuts, turmeric, and salt and fry them together.
- Finally, add the poha and mix everything thoroughly.
- Allow it to cook for a minute or two on low heat. Sprinkle the sugar on top and squeeze the juice of the lemon.
- Give it a final stir, and serve with a garnishing of coriander leaves.
4 Unique Variations for Red Poha Recipes
Now that you get the hang of the red kanda poha recipes, you can try out the following variations:
Red Indori Poha Recipes
Do not soak the poha for too long for the Indori variant. If possible, purchase thick red poha.
Follow the red kanda poha recipes above and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves, pomegranate seeds, finely chopped onions, and mixed sev.
Red Poha Upma Recipes
For the red poha upma recipes, you need to add some ginger, coconut, and boiled green peas to the ingredients of the above red poha recipes. At the same time, eliminate potatoes from the list. Garnish your dish with freshly grated coconuts.
Veggie-Loaded Red Poha Recipes
We are taking healthy eating to a whole new level by loading up the regular red poha recipes with fresh, healthy, and wholesome vegetables! Add vegetables such as grated carrots, finely chopped tomatoes, finely chopped capsicums, diced mushrooms, and even some grated cabbage to upgrade your dish!
Red Poha Chaat
Follow the red poha recipes above to make your base. Toss in some finely chopped onions and tomatoes and mix everything together. You can add a few moong sprouts, some black chickpeas, boiled potatoes, and some finely chopped green chillies. Add a generous amount of lemon juice and season it with rock salt. Throw in a few pomegranate seeds and top it all with some nylon sev and coriander leaves. Oh, and if you’re feeling adventurous, you can add some fresh yoghurt to this chaat!
With the above red poha recipes, you can healthily satisfy your hunger. Did you know that you could make your healthy red poha even healthier? Yes, it is very much possible when you switch to organic products. Organic red poha is healthier than any of its counterparts because it does not contain any toxins or additives. Hence, you can be assured of eating healthy, safe, and pure!
Try 24 Mantra Organics’s Poha and enjoy crispy Poha Cutlet Recipe.