If you are new to Mumbai, then you should definitely try out this amazing street food. Available in all street food stalls in Mumbai, pav bhaji is one of the popular dishes you can see people craving for and I bet the taste is something that will drive you crazy.
Now that everyone cannot go to Mumbai to have this authentic pav bhaji recipe, here’s an easy way to make it at home as well. Yes, you can make this delicious spicy recipe at home, provided you make the recipe as said, so that you get that exact taste and flavor.
Here’s how to make pav bhaji recipe:
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Cuisine: Street food
- Servings: 4
Ingredients required for pav bhaji recipe:
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup green peas
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 potatoes boiled and mashed
- ½ capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt (or as required)
- 1 ¼ tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp pav bhaji masala
- 2 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Water to adjust the consistency
For toasting pav:
- 8 pav or bread bun
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ tsp pav bhaji masala
- 4 tsp coriander leaves finely chopped
How to make the pav bhaji recipe:
- Take a large Kadai, which is very important in this pav bhaji recipe. Only a Kadai can give you the exact flavor and taste while mixing these ingredients.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and add vegetables and cook them well by adding ½ cup water.
- Boil for 10 mins and mash them well.
- Now add one tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp fenugreek leaves, and 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Saute for a minute and make sure the raw smell is gone.
- Set aside the vegetable mixture evenly to the sides of the pan and create a space at the center of the Kadai.
- Heat a tbsp of butter and add ¼ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp pav bhaji masala, and 1 tsp fenugreek leaves.
- To this add finely chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 onion, and ½ lemon juice.
- Saute well, till the onions turn translucent.
- Add ½ cup of water as required and adjust the consistency. The bhaji shouldn’t be too watery nor too thick. Maintain a medium-thick
- Now take another pan and heat ½ tsp butter and a pinch of chili powder, pav bhaji masala, and 1 tsp coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cut the pav in the center and roast the pav in this spiced butter. Roast both sides until the sides turn slightly brown and warm.
- Finally, the pav bhaji recipe is complete and is ready to serve with some chopped onions, lemon and a slice of butter.