- MOST RECENT
Traditional Ukadiche Modak Recipe with Rice Flour
Modak is a traditional Hindu sweet that is served to Lord Ganesh and is the main offering in Ganesh Chaturthi. There are many regional variations of the modak recipe, but primarily it is made using rice flour and coconut jaggery filling.
Generally, modak is prepared by steaming the rice flour dumplings, but they can also be prepared either by frying or baking. Making the outer skin of modak can be a tedious process as creating the plateaued structure of the outer layer requires precision and practice.
However, with the right approach and a perfectly prepared dough, even beginner cooks can make uniform modak dumplings easily. In this post, we will be making the Maharashtrian version of this delectable Indian dessert known as ukadiche modak, and we will use organic rice flour to prepare our dough.
Ukadiche Modak Recipe Ingredients
Before we begin with the preparation steps involved in the ukadiche easy modak recipe, let’s have a look at the ingredients required. We will be looking at the ingredients required for the dough as well as for the filling.
Ingredients required for filling:
- ½ cup of jaggery or gur
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed almonds
- 1 teaspoon crushed cashew nuts
Ingredients required for modak dough:
- 1 cup of fine organic rice flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cup of water
Once you have all the required ingredients, it’s only a matter of 30-40 minutes that are required in the modak banane ki viddhi. Let’s now move on to the preparation steps involved in the ukadiche modak recipe.
Ukadiche Modak Recipe Preparation Steps
Preparing the ukadiche modak recipe is very simple, and the only skill-intensive step is creating uniformly plateaued dumplings. We will begin with the filling preparation and then move on with our easy modak banane ki viddhi.
- In a frying pan, mix the ½ cup of jaggery, 1 teaspoon of almonds and cashew nuts with 1 cup of grated coconut and mix well on a low flame.
- Keep mixing until the jaggery starts to melt and forms a pasty mixture.
- Add the ¼ teaspoon cardamom mixture and mix everything well.
- Our stuffing is complete now. Keep it aside and let it cool.
Now we will move on to prepare the outer cover for the filling. Below are the steps for preparing the dough for modak.
- In a pan, take 1 cup of water, ¼ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of ghee and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now, turn the flame off and add 1 cup of fine rice flour.
- Mix everything thoroughly and cover the mixture.
- Allow the mix to rest for 4-5 minutes.
- While the mixture is still hot, transfer the contents of the pan in a large mixing bowl.
- Knead the dough with your hands, and if you feel the mixture is turning dry, you can add a little bit of water and continue kneading.
- We now have our dough ready, and we will now take out small ball sized portions for making the outer covering of the modak.
Now that we have our filling ready, we will now begin shaping our modaks.
- Take a small ball sized dough and by using your thumb, start pressing at the edges to create a dent in the centre.
- Gently press the edges so that the dough forms a cup-like shape.
- Create pleats in the dough using your index finger and thumb.
- Now, put 1 tablespoon of the filling in the modak.
- Hold all the pleats together and converge at the top to form a closed dumpling.
- Similarly, make 5 modaks for the first steaming in the first batch.
- Place the modaks in a steamer while ensuring that there are gaps in between.
- Place the lid over the steamer and steam the modaks for around 10 minutes, or until their appearance turns shiny.
- Your delicious ukadiche modak recipeis ready to serve!
By simply looking at the preparation steps involved in preparing the ukadiche modak recipe, it must be clear that not only is the recipe simple to prepare, but the stuffing is quick to prepare and very delicious. If you are preparing modak for the first time, below are a few tips for you that will definitely help you in preparing your modak recipe.
Ukadiche Modak Recipe Tips
Here are a few tips that will prove to be very helpful in modak banane ki viddhi:
- You can add sesame seeds, crushed almonds & cashew nuts, poppy seeds and other nuts if you want to prepare a unique filling.
- Kneading the dough properly is very important. You can add more water or ghee to ensure that the final dough has a smooth texture and can be easily shaped into dumplings.
- Suppose the modak breaks while shaping, add some more water or ghee to the dough and knead the dough thoroughly. This will help modaks in retaining their shape.
- If you are preparing the Modak for serving as a prasad, refrain from tasting the filling during preparation.
- If the dough sticks to your hands, put some water on your palms and then shape the modak.
So there you go folks, that was our take on all things modak using organic rice flour! Try 24 Mantra Organics’s Rice flour and try Traditional Ukadiche Modak!