- MOST RECENT
Instant Idli Rava Upma Recipe
This Delicious Idli Rava Upma Is Perfect For Your Hunger Cravings
As you would do with regular sooji, it is always best to buy organic idli rava. Naturally, consuming organic products means that you are eating healthy. At the same time, organic products are cultivated and processed with the utmost care. Hence, you can be assured that your idli rava is free from chemicals, adulteration, and cross-contamination.
Idli Rava Upma Recipe
In this recipe, we will make the delicious upma with idli rava. Let’s start with the ingredients first. You will need:
- A cup of idli rava
- 2.25 cups of water
- Salt as per taste
- Four tablespoons of coconut oil
- One whole dried red chilli
- Two teaspoons of mustard
- A teaspoon of urad dal
- Two teaspoons of chana dal
- One small onion, finely diced
- Half an inch of ginger, peeled and grated
- Two green chillies, finely chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A small piece of jaggery
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Two tablespoons of ghee
- A tablespoon of freshly grated coconut
Here are the instructions for the idli rava upma recipe:
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat two tablespoons of coconut oil. Once it is hot, add the idli rava and start roasting it over medium heat. Keep stirring it to ensure that you do not burn the rava.
- Once the idli rava is golden brown, transfer it into a plate and let it cool on the side.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, add the asafoetida, mustard seeds (reserve one teaspoon), urad dal, chana dal, and fry it until the dals turn golden.
- Then, add the onion, ginger, and green chillies and saute everything until the onions turn translucent and the ginger turns aromatic. Add salt as per taste.
- Now, add the idli rava to the pan and stir everything until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Heat up the water on the side.
- Add the warm water to the idli rava, little by little, and while constantly stirring to avoid any lumps. Drop the jaggery in the idli rava upma.
- Stir everything until all the idli rava is soaking in the water and the jaggery has melted, let it simmer until the water comes to a roiling boil.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting, transparent lid and let everything cook until the water almost evaporates. As and when required, keep giving the idli rava upma a good stir occasionally.
- If you find the upma to be too dry, add some water. Conversely, if the upma appears too watery, take off the lid and let the water evaporate for a while.
- When the idli rava is swollen and appears cooked, and all the water is absorbed, turn off the heat and cover the pan with the lid once again. Let it rest for about 3-5 minutes.
- In a tadka pan, heat the ghee. Once hot, drop the curry leaves, mustard seeds, and fresh coconut in it. Let everything splutter.
- Drop the tempering over the upma, and garnish with some more fresh coconut.
- Serve hot.
Tips for the Perfect Idli Rava Upma
Here are a few hacks that will help you nail the idli rava upma recipe every time you make it:
- Feel free to add any vegetable of your choice to make the dish healthier. You may even add nuts, such as peanuts and cashew nuts for an added crunchy texture.
- For a more authentic taste, you can add skinned lilva beans, also known as avrekalu or hyacinth beans. Alternatively, you can add fresh or frozen green peas.
- Cooking in traditional bronze utensil (vengala panai) will elevate the flavours of your idli rava upma. However, in this case, avoid using acidic ingredients, such as lemons or it may cause a chemical reaction.
- You may choose to garnish your idli rava with the juice of one lemon and some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the idli rava upma with some coconut thogayal, sambhar, thengai thogayal, red pickle, or eggplat gotsu.
- When using idli rava, dal, and spices like whole red chillies, choose organic products as they will make your dish healthier and tastier.
Satisfy your hunger pangs and cravings with the above idli rava upma recipe. Try 24 Mantra Organics’s Idly Rava and enjoy Idly Rava Upma recipes!