- MOST RECENT
Where and How to Buy the Right Toor Dal
Where and How to Buy the Right Toor Dal?
Also known as pigeon peas in English, the toor dal retrieved from a branched shrub is a rich source of proteins and carbohydrates.
Nutrition value edible portion per 100g of Red Gram:
|Vit.A value (mcg)||132|
According to the Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology and Research, India undertakes about 90% of the world’s total production, and the annual production of toor dal is calculated to be just over 2.68 million tonnes.
Seeing as there is such an abundance of the pulse, it will come as no surprise that markets will be teeming with it. As such, it is incumbent to buy toor dal that is of supreme quality.
And purchase pulses that are organic, taking care that you are aware of the different varieties and specialities of toor dal that is available. The toor dal Price also factors into all of this.
Toor Dal Price – What is Your Best Buy?
As per India Agro Net, our has over the years, released a variety of Toor Dals on the basis of its maturity (in days).
The difference in the variety depends on toor dals released after an extra-short duration of maturity, short-duration maturity, medium duration and long duration varieties.
How should it look?
When you’re out to buy toor dal, there are a few distinct features to look out for. It is natural to be confused between the many varieties of dals that are currently available in the market. Here are some indicators to look out for:
- Toor dal is also known as arhar dal, so you might want to keep that in mind while talking to retailers or even while shopping for toor dal online.
- The pulses are usually beige/dirty white in colour with a bright yellow interior.
- They could be described as round or lens-shaped.
- Toor dal is rounder and thicker than masoor and moong dal.
Where to buy unpolished Toor Dal?
Finding the right sources to buy quality toor dal is essential. There is also the conundrum of choosing between polished and unpolished toor dal. Here are some of the things you must keep in mind when you decide to buy toor dal online:
- Although it is true that oil-coated toor dal will last way longer than unpolished toor dal, it does not necessarily make it healthier.
- The oil-coating gives the dal a shiny, pristine look but it takes far longer to cook.
- We can never be assured of the condition the oil-coating was done in.
- In addition to the extra fat that gets added to the food because of the oil-coating, the water used to complete the coating could be contaminated.
- The water may also have been acquired from unsanitary sources that consist of marble and soapstone powder which is not a good thing for the Intestine.
- When you buy toor dal that is polished from online stores, the chances of old stock being sent back for re-polishing are high.
Why you should buy Toor Dal that is organic
- When you buy toor dal that is organic, you will not be consuming pulses that are writ with Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and Pesticides.
- The nutrients and fibres are properly preserved in pulses produced in this manner.
- If the toor dal is organically made, there is a good chance that it has been farmed in areas where dals have traditionally been growing and flourishing.
Although the task of buying the right toor dal must feel daunting at first, a basic understanding of the requirements of such a purchase is more than enough to get one started.