In a world that is increasingly getting unhealthier to live in, it is only natural that health consciousness is now on the rise. Amidst all the harmful lifestyle changes, there are a handful of people determined to stay healthy. One buzzword that is constantly heard in health sections of newspapers and health blogs is ‘organic’.
Now, what is organic food? This is food that is made entirely of ingredients grown without the use of chemicals of any sort. It also avoids the use of processed chemicals. Organic farming utilizes natural manure and pesticides in place of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Thus the food thus produced is said to be more pure, fresh, and devoid of harmful substances.
Like any topic that trends on the media, a few misconceptions are bound to fly around indiscriminately. People often fall victim to these false notions and miss recognizing the truth. Here are five misconceptions that people have regarding organic food:
- Myth: Organic food is no healthier than conventional food.
- Fact: Organic food is better for health than conventional food since the pesticide content is considerably low. Although research indicates that the nutrient value is not significantly higher, it is still desirable to cut down on chemical intake via food. Thus, organic food is a better choice.
- Myth: Organic food is too expensive.
- Fact: This is not the case always. It depends on the food item and the seller. Besides, organic food will protect from several health issues caused by chemicals, thereby cutting down on your medical expenses. And we all know how costly healthcare can get! Thus, in the long run, organic food is cost-effective and beneficial.
- Myth: Pesticides don’t do much damage.
- Fact: Pesticides are chemical substances made to kill living organisms that can damage the crop. But this effect doesn’t stop midway in the food chain. It goes all the way to the end – into our digestive systems – and its accumulation causes several health problems. Pesticides also add to the increasing pollution levels in the environment.
- Myth: Only small or local organic farmers are trustworthy.
- Fact: Some big organic companies can produce equally, if not more, organic food. Big organic companies have better production methods and more resources, which contribute to a more economical process. In fact, these ‘big’ companies would have actually started off as small farms that grew over the period and emerged successfully!
- Myth: Organic food is not very different from conventional food.
- Fact: Organic and conventional food differ in many aspects. From the growing to the processing stage, the components used are different. Organic food does not allow the use of toxic pesticides, genetically modified organisms, antibiotics, and artificial growth hormones, which otherwise have no restrictions in the production of conventional food. This is why organic foods come with a separate label and certification.
It is time to go ahead and take a step in the right direction – go organic now, your body will thank you later. 24 Mantra offers a wide range of 100% certified organic products, know more here: https://www.24mantra.com/