- Wash and soak the black chickpeas in plenty of water overnight or for 7 to 8 hours. Drain the water and place the soaked chickpeas in the pressure cooker with 3 cups water. Pressure cook the chickpeas until the first whistle, lower the heat and then cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- After the chickpeas cool down, strain the cooked chickpeas and reserve the cooking water. Add plain water into the reserved water to make it 3 cups.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a blender put in the tomatoes, coriander, mint leaves, ginger and chili if using and blend to a smooth puree.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, with a tight fitting lid, heat the oil until warm. Put in the cinnamon stick and the cloves, stir fry for a few seconds until the spices start to sizzle, add the asafetida powder and then put in the ground puree.
- Add in the rest of the spices, the coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- After the oil begins to separate from the ground masala, add the drained rice and the drained cooked chickpeas.
- Pour in the reserved chickpea water, add the salt and garam masala powder, give it a good stir and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover with a tight lid and cook until done.
- Serve hot or warm with raita.
- Serves 4 to 6
Reference : https://www.divinetaste.com/kala-channa-pulao-black-chickpea-pulao/?utm_source=24mantra.com&utm_campaign=organic_mantras&utm_medium=microsite