- MOST RECENT
Is Mustard Oil Good For Heart? Let's Find Out - 24 Mantra Organic
Is Mustard Oil Good For Heart? Let’s Find Out
You might have heard your grandma say that mustard oil is good for the heart. But how much truth is there in that statement? In India, mustard oil or sarson ka tel is used as a cooking oil in many households. The Northern Indian states swear by it. Should you use it too? Is mustard oil good for heart?
We will answer these questions in this article, with research-backed reasons. If you decide to use mustard oil, we recommend you buying organic mustard oil every time. This variety is free of harmful pesticides and other chemicals.
Quick Facts About Mustard Oil
Before we try to answer, ‘Is mustard oil good for heart?’ here are some quick facts about mustard oil.
- While there are many methods of pressing mustard seeds to extract oil, the cold-pressed or kacchi ghani method retains maximum nutrients as they are not lost to heat.
- 40% of the mustard oil production comes from Rajasthan in India, according to APEDA.
- Mustard oil can be made through pressing from black mustard seeds (Brassica nigra), brown Indian mustard seeds (Brassica juncea), and white mustard seeds (Brassica hirta).
Serving size: 1 cup
|Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids||12862mg|
|Total Omega-6 Fatty Acids||33424mg|
Is Mustard Oil Good For Heart?
The answer to ‘Is mustard oil good for heart?’ is a big yes. Here’s why:
1. It reduces blood pressure.
High blood pressure can increase cardiovascular risk. A review published in the journal, ‘Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism‘ found that foods rich in monosaturated fats like mustard oil can decrease cardiovascular risk.
2. Reduces the risk of coronary heart disease:
A study published in the ‘Indian Heart Journal‘ states that mustard oil, due to its high monosaturated fat content and low saturated fat content can help in decreasing the risk of coronary heart disease.
But on the flip side, a study published in the ‘Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research‘ states that consumption of mustard oil increased the risk of coronary heart disease.
3. It has the right N3:N6 ratio and a high smoking point:
Mustard oil has the right ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. According to a doctor-written article in the Times of India, this along with the fact that mustard oil has a high smoking point are the reasons why it is good for the heart.
This was supported by another doctor, quoted in an article on the Business Standard.
4. It prevents heart diseases:
The ‘American Journal of Clinical Nutrition‘ states that foods rich in alpha-linolenic acid help in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Mustard oil is rich in this nutrient which makes it heart-healthy.
Other Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
Mustard oil offers many other health benefits too. Some are:
- It helps in weight loss as it induces thermogenesis (British Journal of Nutrition) that decreases your appetite and makes you feel full faster (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition).
- Relieves symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health).
- Is a good source of essential healthy fats.
- Helps in the prevention of diseases like cancer, asthma, skin diseases and more (Journal of Dairying, Foods & Home Sciences).
Mustard Oil For A Healthy Heart
It is always advisable to ask a medical professional, ‘Is mustard oil good for heart?’ because there you will get expert advice. We think that mustard oil is not only good for the heart but also for the 360-degree improvement of our health.
If you decide to incorporate mustard oil in your diet, buy the organic variety. This ensures the oil is of better quality, the nutritional values are intact and you are doing good for the environment. Choose mustard oil today! Stay healthy, eat heartily.
Try 24 Mantra Organics’s Mustard Oil and taste the goodness of organic.