- MOST RECENT
Is Flaxseed Good For Weight Loss? Let's Find Out What Science Says
Is Flaxseed Good For Weight Loss? Let’s Find Out What Science Says
Linum usitatissimum, the Latin word for flaxseed that means ‘very useful‘. And it truly is. Introduced to the United States to produce fibre for clothing, flaxseed has been around since the beginning of civilisation. It is known to have numerous health benefits, along with helping in weight loss. In ancient times, it was used as a medicine. Flax seeds also work wonders for hair and skincare!
Read on to find the answer to the question, ‘Is flaxseed good for weight loss?’
What is Flaxseed?
Also known as linseed, the flaxseed crop bears beautiful purple flowers. Usually grown in the cooler areas of the world, the seeds are threshed once the crop is harvested.
Textiles are also made from the crop, famously known as ‘linen’.
Before we move on to answering the question, ‘Is flaxseed good for weight loss?’, let’s learn about its nutritional values.
Serving size: 1 cup (168g)
|Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids||38325mg|
|Total Omega-6 Fatty Acids||9931mg|
|Thiamin||2.8mg (184% of the recommended daily value)|
|Niacin||5.2mg (26% of the recommended daily value)|
|Vitamin B6||0.8mg (40% of the recommended daily value)|
|Folate||146mcg (37% of the recommended daily value)|
|Pantothenic Acid||1.7mg (17% of the recommended daily value)|
|Calcium||428mg (43% of the recommended daily value)|
|Iron||9.6mg (53% of the recommended daily value)|
|Magnesium||658mg (165 % of the recommended daily value)|
|Potassium||1366mg (39% of the recommended daily value)|
|Sodium||50.4mg (2% of the recommended daily value)|
Is Flaxseed Good For Weight Loss?
Finally let’s get to the question, ‘Is flaxseed good for weight loss?’. YES. Here’s why:
1. What Science Says About – Is Flaxseed Good For Weight Loss?
- The ‘Obesity Review Journal‘ published that whole flaxseed is a good choice for weight management and had a positive effect on body composition, for weight reduction, particularly for those who are overweight or obese.
- A study published in the ‘Nutritional Journal‘ found that weight loss and a drop in systolic blood pressure was observed in men with cardiovascular risk factors.
- Flaxseed is rich in vitamins and nutrients. The journal ‘Nutrients‘ published research that found that for long-term weight management, there should be a healthier diet pattern and no micronutrient deficiencies.
2. High Fibre Content
We have always been hearing about consuming more fibre to lose weight and maintain the body in good shape. A study in the ‘Nutrients‘ journal found a link between consumption of fibre-rich foods and weight loss. Almost all of the carb content in flaxseeds and about 30% of the total content is dietary fibre.
3. Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
The ‘European Journal of Clinical Nutrition‘ featured a study that states that consuming omega-3 fatty acids can prevent obesity. The journal ‘Appetite‘ published research that found that consuming omega-3 fatty acids can increase feelings of satiety. Flaxseeds have omega-3 fatty acids in abundance.
4. No Bad Fats
‘The BMJ‘ journal published a study that found a link between weight gain and consumption of trans fats and saturated fats. These are ‘bad fats’. There are zero trans fats in flax seeds and extremely low saturated fats. The fat content is made up of ‘good fats’ like monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats that aid in several body functions and do not contribute to weight gain.
5. Rich in B vitamins
High vitamin B content in flaxseeds can help with weight loss. B vitamins lead to a better metabolism, according to an academic book titled, ‘An Introduction to Nutrition‘.
This is why we said yes to – ‘Is flaxseed good for weight loss?
Other Health Benefits of Flaxseed
Do flaxseeds help in weight loss? Yes. But they also have other health benefits. Some of them are:
- The ‘Journal of Food Science and Technology‘ published a review that states that flaxseed has health benefits such as in ‘reduction of cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis, autoimmune and neurological disorders.’ It also supports the immune system and helps in the prevention of heart disease.
- It is high in protein, B vitamins, Omega fatty acids, folate, iron, calcium and more, each providing excellent nutritional benefits.
- It is low in sodium and saturated fat.
- It has zero trans fats and no cholesterol.
Now you know that the answer to – is flaxseed good for weight loss? – is a ‘yes’. Interestingly, flax is North Ireland’s emblem and appeared on the British one-pound coin. The flaxseed flower is the national flower of Belarus. The seed is a star!
This legendary flaxseed is a must for your diet. You can consume it in many ways. Use flaxseed oil as a salad dressing, add them to bread or any other baking goods you prepare, add them to your breakfast cereal or sandwiches, mix them with yoghurt etc. Now you can lose weight and improve your health! Get your supply of flaxseeds today.
Try 24 Mantra Organic’s Flax Seeds and feel the goodness inside!